Anthony’s Cookies in the Mission Serves Up the Goods; Cookies and Cream Our Favorite
If you haven’t already noticed, Hoodscope is a fan of 7×7’s Big Eat SF (although we may not always agree with them). This year Anthony’s Cookies and Cream cookie is new on the list, so you know I had to try it. Actually, Gene thought he would be the first Hoodscoper to try the cookie, but he was rejected twice when Anthony’s was temporarily closed. A couple days later, we were pleasantly surprised when Anthony announced via Twitter that they would be giving out free cookies that Saturday from 1-3pm. The third time’s a charm right? Gene decided he would give Anthony’s Cookies another shot.
Sure enough we arrived early that Saturday expecting a line, but only a handful of people were in the shop. The clock struck 1 o’clock and an employee announced the free cookie giveaway. He pointed to the framed list of flavors on the counter, and told us each customer would get not one, but 2 free cookies! That was a generous offer I could not pass up. I decided on one Cookies and Cream, one Toffee Chip, and an assortment to go. Collectively we also tried Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip, German Chocolate, Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chip, and Cinnamon Sugar—that’s about half the menu! They rotate flavors on a daily basis, which gives us plenty of tasty reasons to keep visiting.
At first glance, the storefront doesn’t appear to be anything out of the ordinary. The space itself is very minimalist, featuring one long table and a window seat, a row of glass milk bottles on display, and an open kitchen. But the cookies are the real stars, and taste definitely outweighs presentation in this case (unlike some other dessert shops *coughcupcakescough*). The cookies are thin and perfectly crisp on the outside, chewy and melty on the inside. And you really can’t go wrong using all-natural ingredients from right here in San Francisco.
The White Chocolate Chip and the Toffee Chip were definitely the sweetest of the bunch. The White Chocolate Chip has big chunks of chocolate and the Cinnamon Sugar definitely has more cinnamon than sugar, slightly reminiscent of a mild ginger snap. Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip has a nice texture to it, chewy, but not dense like most oatmeal cookies I’ve tried. Cookies and Cream is our favorite, hands down. A cross between a Chocolate Chip and an Oreo cookie, it’s quite an innovative combo. It goes especially well with a glass of Straus Creamery milk, which is some damn good milk, chunks of cream and all. Even better, paired with a cup of Ritual Coffee from down the street!
Anthony has certainly made a quick name for himself as a local favorite. And to think, 13 years ago, he was a starving SF State student peddling cookies out of the trunk of his car! He is currently perfecting more flavors, including a vegan variety. Stop by the shop on Valencia, or find select flavors at The Real Food Co. and Rainbow Grocery.
1417 Valencia Street (between 25th & 26th Streets)
San Francisco, CA 94110
Images: Flickr/AndersP and ChefTinaLuu, Yelp/Wilhelm Y.
Also check out:
Mitchell’s Ice Cream: A San Francisco favorite since 1953
Gelateria Naia in the Castro; All Natural Gelato
Hot Cookie in the Castro; Cookies and Penises Under One Roof
Sweet Beat: Italian Gelato (in Some Very Un-Italian Flavors) at Marco Polo
Golden Island Cafe: Hong Kong-Style Sago Sweets in the Outer Sunset
Filed under: Desserts, Restaurants, Reviews | 7 Comments
Tags: anthony's cookies, cinnamon sugar, cookie, cookies and cream, dessert, mission, toffee chip
- Anchor & Hope Seafood Restaurant in SoMa
- Pacific Puffs – Delightfully Light and Fluffy Sweet Treats In the Marina
- Mangarosa in North Beach – Italian Cuisine with a Brazilian Twist
- Anthony’s Cookies in the Mission Serves Up the Goods; Cookies and Cream Our Favorite
- The Fillmore – A Historic San Francisco Concert Venue
- Made my @uber driver go through the drive thru and I ordered him a Filet-O-Fish. Cost me an extra $30. #FuckIt 2 hours ago
- Thanks to my @uber driver for taking me through the McDonald's drive through. 3 hours ago
- A comic strip about a dog in a fort with a Corgi in a lobster costume going to war against evil cats: comicsalliance.com/2011/01/19/dog… 11 hours ago
- My morning was off to a great start until the @49ers report of Michael Crabtree's torn Achilles. Current status: i.imgur.com/4JCINXy.gif 14 hours ago
- RT @worksykes: All these kids arguing about gif or jif today, some of us who have been doing this for almost 20 years. 15 hours ago
- RT @mjog: Llamas sure have weird eyes. ur1.ca/dz8g1 15 hours ago
- Riding Muni without a Kindle or headphones. The horror! 16 hours ago
- Only six days left in the nGroove Snap campaign! We just hit $78k with over 1,800 backers. Get yours: igg.me/at/ngroovesnap… 1 day ago
- Dear @twilio...Love, @Dove_Chocolate http://t.co/ecZLMYRXOu 1 day ago
- The Bay Area is awarded Super Bowl 50 in 2016 at the new @49ers stadium after a vote of NFL owners. Can't wait to win SB50 at home! 1 day ago
- Side-by-side spec sheet needed between #XboxOne and girlfriend. 1 day ago
- Young girls Vulva on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in San Francisco Episode Recap
- Pauline on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in San Francisco Episode Recap
- Modesto on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in San Francisco Episode Recap
- bursa halı yıkama on Bay to Breakers 2010 Recap and Photos
- http://www.istitutocesari.it/classi/user/view.php?id=10385&course=1 on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in San Francisco Episode Recap
sf weekly: sfoodie
cheap eats examiner