Anthony’s Cookies in the Mission Serves Up the Goods; Cookies and Cream Our Favorite
If you haven’t already noticed, Hoodscope is a fan of 7×7’s Big Eat SF (although we may not always agree with them). This year Anthony’s Cookies and Cream cookie is new on the list, so you know I had to try it. Actually, Gene thought he would be the first Hoodscoper to try the cookie, but he was rejected twice when Anthony’s was temporarily closed. A couple days later, we were pleasantly surprised when Anthony announced via Twitter that they would be giving out free cookies that Saturday from 1-3pm. The third time’s a charm right? Gene decided he would give Anthony’s Cookies another shot.
Sure enough we arrived early that Saturday expecting a line, but only a handful of people were in the shop. The clock struck 1 o’clock and an employee announced the free cookie giveaway. He pointed to the framed list of flavors on the counter, and told us each customer would get not one, but 2 free cookies! That was a generous offer I could not pass up. I decided on one Cookies and Cream, one Toffee Chip, and an assortment to go. Collectively we also tried Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip, German Chocolate, Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chip, and Cinnamon Sugar—that’s about half the menu! They rotate flavors on a daily basis, which gives us plenty of tasty reasons to keep visiting.
At first glance, the storefront doesn’t appear to be anything out of the ordinary. The space itself is very minimalist, featuring one long table and a window seat, a row of glass milk bottles on display, and an open kitchen. But the cookies are the real stars, and taste definitely outweighs presentation in this case (unlike some other dessert shops *coughcupcakescough*). The cookies are thin and perfectly crisp on the outside, chewy and melty on the inside. And you really can’t go wrong using all-natural ingredients from right here in San Francisco.
The White Chocolate Chip and the Toffee Chip were definitely the sweetest of the bunch. The White Chocolate Chip has big chunks of chocolate and the Cinnamon Sugar definitely has more cinnamon than sugar, slightly reminiscent of a mild ginger snap. Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip has a nice texture to it, chewy, but not dense like most oatmeal cookies I’ve tried. Cookies and Cream is our favorite, hands down. A cross between a Chocolate Chip and an Oreo cookie, it’s quite an innovative combo. It goes especially well with a glass of Straus Creamery milk, which is some damn good milk, chunks of cream and all. Even better, paired with a cup of Ritual Coffee from down the street!
Anthony has certainly made a quick name for himself as a local favorite. And to think, 13 years ago, he was a starving SF State student peddling cookies out of the trunk of his car! He is currently perfecting more flavors, including a vegan variety. Stop by the shop on Valencia, or find select flavors at The Real Food Co. and Rainbow Grocery.
1417 Valencia Street (between 25th & 26th Streets)
San Francisco, CA 94110
Images: Flickr/AndersP and ChefTinaLuu, Yelp/Wilhelm Y.
Also check out:
Mitchell’s Ice Cream: A San Francisco favorite since 1953
Gelateria Naia in the Castro; All Natural Gelato
Hot Cookie in the Castro; Cookies and Penises Under One Roof
Sweet Beat: Italian Gelato (in Some Very Un-Italian Flavors) at Marco Polo
Golden Island Cafe: Hong Kong-Style Sago Sweets in the Outer Sunset
Filed under: Desserts, Restaurants, Reviews | 7 Comments
Tags: anthony's cookies, cinnamon sugar, cookie, cookies and cream, dessert, mission, toffee chip
- Anchor & Hope Seafood Restaurant in SoMa
- Pacific Puffs – Delightfully Light and Fluffy Sweet Treats In the Marina
- Mangarosa in North Beach – Italian Cuisine with a Brazilian Twist
- Anthony’s Cookies in the Mission Serves Up the Goods; Cookies and Cream Our Favorite
- The Fillmore – A Historic San Francisco Concert Venue
- If you think it's cold, don't complain - just act like the happiest penguin ever: youtube.com/watch?v=rGEqWz… 7 hours ago
- This casual Friday calls for Nike Air Max 90 and raw Japanese selvedge denim. http://t.co/jQsIlDOp1G 13 hours ago
- RT @BlawnDee: Yeah these boxes are definitely plotting something. http://t.co/N1sTlJ2x 16 hours ago
- RT @Devworthy: This Code Worked Fine In Staging. What Happens In Production Will Astound You. 1 day ago
- We got an @uber Christmas tree delivered to @twilio HQ! Better than a cat. http://t.co/FSKUhArk1y 1 day ago
- Widespread panic over sub-40 degree weather. I love California. 1 day ago
- RT @hipstermermaid: PIZZA! Now that I have your attention, let's talk about sex. 2 days ago
- Text RED, BLUE or GREEN to our Festivus pole at 202-417-3378 and we'll donate $1 to the SF Food Bank. Watch live: twilio.com/blog/2013/12/t… 2 days ago
- RT @twilio: Ringing In Festivus: You Light Up Our Festivus Tree Via Text and We’ll Donate to The SF Food Bank bit.ly/1hypT4l 2 days ago
- DeMarcus Ware Jersey on What San Francisco Neighborhoods Would Cartoons Live In?
- Terrell on How do you know you’re a San Francisco Hipster?
- bathroom vanities on What San Francisco Neighborhoods Would Cartoons Live In?
- landtalk.co.kr on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in San Francisco Episode Recap
- office furniture stores near me on Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations in San Francisco Episode Recap
sf weekly: sfoodie
cheap eats examiner